Wednesday 3 November 2021

 Day 4 DATA

Number-crunching day - and soooo many numbers and soooo much crunching. When I next head back to the dentist, I'm sure I will be accused of teeth grinding once again after all that crunching.

As far as Google Sheets is concerned, I must admit to standing on the shoulders of giants - I have always been happy to adapt spreadsheets which have been produced by those more skilled than myself rather than creating my own from scratch. so, today was a landmark occasion for me as far as spreadsheet skills are concerned.

Vicky's tour of Google Sheets was enlightening - who knew that there were so many tools in the box and so many nooks and crannies to investigate? Not I, that's for sure. It was a reminder that it's always easier to orient yourself once you are familiar with the territory - hopefully, no more heading down blind alleys for me in future when using Google Sheets. In my role as my school's PN, I can see that the use of Google Sheets for data analysis and for the presentation of said data analysis will be of great use further down the road. The analysis and chart below are a perfect example of this.

And speaking of orienting oneself, I am now aware of various ways in which my students can make use of Google Maps to add clarity and colour to certain presentations in order to improve the overall quality of their work. Tourism students can use a map to illustrate routes to take and connections between locations when they are presenting a tailored package holiday for specific clients for particular Achievement Standards. Additionally, History students can use a map to illustrate particular voyages of discovery. Another worthwhile learning experience.

3 comments:

  1. I find Google Sheets daunting too. Its not my go to, but after today I feel more confident. Your Blog Analysis is very detailed, you choose quite a busy blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Kenneth,
    I agree being conversant with sheets for your PN role with be very worthwhile.
    Remember you can alway google a specific question about how to do something when you need it.
    Ngā mihi,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed reading your blog posts Kenneth - particularly how you are going to use this knowledge to help your students. Keep up the good work ! :)

    ReplyDelete