Wednesday 27 October 2021

DAY 3 MEDIA - Animation


The animation below is my first foray into the world of Disney, Pixar and Studio Ghibli and has given me added respect for my former students who now work at Wetaworks Studios as digital animators. They have informed me that they enjoy their mahi, they find it satisfies their creative urges and even greater satisfaction when a project is completed - although I am sure that what they haven't told me is that they frequently suffer from repetitive strain injury, as I certainly do after creating such a basic animation.


Today's session on Google Slides took me back in time - I remember being sent by my school in Hong Kong for "special" training in the nineties to learn the arcane mysteries of Microsoft Word, Excel and Slideshow. The Ministry of Education in Hong Kong were convinced that computing would be the way of the future and were very quickly mobilising teachers to represent their schools for training so that they could rush back and coach their colleagues on the few devices which were available in most schools. I was impressed before the course had even started - the building was air-conditioned, a rare treat for teachers as the only schools which had air-conditioning installed were those schools which had fundraised for the huge sums of money involved. Outside it was 35 degrees and ninety per cent humidity, so the air-conditioned environment was very welcome. When i remarked upon this to one of the technicians, he looked at me as if I was crazy and informed me "No, no, no - the air-conditioning is for the protection of the computers, not for the benefit of the teachers!" every time I saw him during that day, he looked at me as if he begrudged me sharing the same environment as his precious hardware - and every computer technician I have ever met has always put the hardware first, we mere humans play only a minor role in the cyber scheme of things.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Kenny
    I saw you were doing the animation session as well, and I wanted to check out your creation. Some pretty serious facial expressions on your characters! 😄
    A great read; very entertaining. Times have changed... at least we don't have to wheel out the Chromebooks when the fire alarm goes off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Kenneth,
    You animation looks like a great start. Beware! Animating can become addictive as you have seen from some learners.
    It would be great to read what else you have learnt throughout the DFI day.
    Ngā mihi,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Kenny,
    Great start to the world of Google Slide animations. Maybe you could give it as a provocation to your learners and see how they finish it? Oh my goodness your Hong Kong story had me giggling! I can imagine your classes enjoy hearing of your interesting experiences. Was there anything else during the day that particularly resonated with you? Nā, M

    ReplyDelete