Wednesday 24 November 2021

DAY 7. DEVICES

 DAY 7.    DEVICES

Today's session on navigating Chromebooks was an interesting insight into how difficult it must have been for some of our students when they made the switch from their tried and tested own/home device to making use of Chromebooks in school. Conversely, those who have learned solely on Chromebooks must experience some struggles with switching to Macs or other varieties of laptop. Having used a Mac since 1997, I know that I will not be switching anytime soon - but interesting to be familiar with how our students navigate through cyberspace.

It was also very useful to learn how to use the Everything Everywhere Whiteboard and I enjoyed producing the basic card below :


To my surprise and delight, I immediately realized how I could apply this particular tool to my year 11 English class - they have the opportunity to tackle achievement standard 1.7, Design A Poster, many of them complete their design by hand as they have been unaware of any digital tools that they could use. The Everything Everywhere Whiteboard could serve as just such a platform for them to complete their poster design in a digital format. I will design a practice task for them to investigate further before launching into the actual standard itself.

Another of today's satisfying experiences was to make use of Screencastify for the first time, the practice exercise revealed to me how useful this tool will be for rewindable learning, a technique that many of my students are greatly in need of learning to use.

Below is the link to the Screencastify video that I produced :




3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Kenny,

    I'm really impressed that you've been able to see an imediate connection between Explain Everything and a task that your Year 11 students do. It would be really interesting to see how they found using it for their design task. And I love the connecting you've made in your Screencastify between what your year 9 students are doing with the elements of film and the quality bloc comment framework for the Film Festival.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Kenneth,
    I agree screencastify is a great tool for both you to create rewindable learning and for your learners to create their own screencasts to teach others.
    Ngā mihi,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kenneth - Your screencastify turned out well! :) Hope your Yr 11's enjoyed trying out their posters digitally :)

    ReplyDelete